- Megan Kamerick reports that UNM students can get free access to the digital version of the New Mexico Business Weekly. Anderson students can go to http://www.mgt.unm.edu/bizjournals/ and others can try http://elibrary.unm.edu/applications/articles/plink.php?id=597.
- Jim Belshaw wishes that, during the Column Writing session, he had mentioned the guy who is arguably the best metro columnist writing today: Steve Lopez of the LA Times. Check out Lopez's latest column here.
- And we talked about the dangers reporters face in other countries (in our Multimedia/Backpack session) and about access to documents (in Sarah Welsh's hour on investigative journalism). This New York Times story, about activists in India being harassed and killed for trying to utilize that nation's right-to-know laws, is quite timely.
Monday, January 24, 2011
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Sessions will be in either Marron Hall room 104 (MH) or the C&J Building, room 119 (CJ). See the post below for biographies of speakers.
NOTE: THERE IS NO COST TO ATTEND, but space is limited, so please register by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Registration & welcome at Marron Hall (w/coffee & bagels)
1) Design 101: Karolyn Cannata-Winge (CJ)
2) Features & Interviewing: Dan Mayfield, Megan Kamerick, Eva Dameron, Ollie Reed Jr. (MH)
1) Column Writing: Jim Belshaw, Jack Ehn, Steve Terrell, Joline Gutierrez-Krueger (MH)
2) Smart Editing: Phillip Blanchard, Ali Patterson, Tom Travin (CJ)
Noon - 1: The State of the Union (w/lunch): A roundtable discussion of the news industry at the start of 2011: Kent Walz, M.E. Sprengelmeyer, Gwyneth Doland (CJ)
1:10 – 2:20:
1) Role of the Photo Desk: Mark Holm, Craig Fritz (MH)
2) Source Development & Political Reporting: Steve Terrell, Dan McKay, Marisa Demarco, Jeff Proctor, Damian Garde (CJ)
2:30 - 4
Multimedia/Backpack Journalism: Richard Schaefer, Carolyn Gonzales, UNM students, Jeremy Jojola, Gwyneth Doland, Jakob Schiller (CJ)
4:15 - 5:15
Investigations/Document searches: Sarah Welsh, Jeff Proctor, Susan McKinsey (CJ)
Cutlines: B.K. Page (MH, 2 p.m.)
Sports: Bob Christ & Greg Archuleta (MH, 3:30 p.m.)
Design 102: Tony Stewart (MH, 3:30 p.m.)
All events are at UNM’s Marron Hall and C&J Building, across the street from each other just off the intersection of Central and Yale SE.
Friday, January 14, 2011
Greg Archuleta is a sports reporter for the Albuquerque Journal.
Jim Belshaw, a longtime columnist at the Albuquerque Journal, is proprietor of the blog Tag End.
Phillip Blanchard is a former copy editor at the Washington Post and Chicago Sun-Times. He is the proprietor of Testy Copy Editors.
Karolyn Cannata-Winge is a professor of visual communication and presentation at UNM. She is a former assistant design director of the Albuquerque Journal and former features/news designer of the Detroit Free Press.
Bob Christ is chief Sports copy editor at the Albuquerque Journal.
Eva Dameron, an artist and musician, is a former editor-in-chief of the Daily Lobo. She is publisher of the Nightly Noodle Monthly.
Marisa Demarco is managing editor and news editor of the weekly Alibi.
Gwyneth Doland is a public affairs correspondent for KNME-TV and KUNM-FM. She is the former editor of The New Mexico Independent and a former editor at Weekly Alibi and The Santa Fe Reporter. She teaches in the Communication and Journalism Department at UNM.
Jack Ehn is former Opinion editor of the Albuquerque Tribune and now an instructor at Central New Mexico Community College and adviser to the CNM Chronicle.
Craig Fritz is an editorial freelancer and wedding photographer; former staff photographer for Albuquerque Tribune; and a graduate of Western Kentucky University in '95.
Damian Garde, a former editor-in-chief of the Daily Lobo, is a blogger who did media work in 2010 for Allen Weh's New Mexico gubernatorial political campaign.
Carolyn Gonzales is senior communication representative for University Communication at UNM.
Joline Gutierrez Krueger is one of three main UpFront Page One columnists for the Albuquerque Journal and a longtime journalist who specialized in the areas of crime and justice. Mark Holm is the former Photo editor of the Albuquerque Tribune and currently an adviser to the photo staff of the Daily Lobo.
Jeremy Jojola is an investigative reporter for KOB-Channel 4.
Megan Kamerick is a senior reporter for the New Mexico Business Weekly. Her beats include the film industry, tourism, small business, nonprofits, the creative economy and economic development. She also does independent production and hosting at public radio station KUNM-FM. She has been a business journalist for about 15 years in San Antonio, New Orleans and Albuquerque. She is currently the president of the Journalism and Women Symposium, a national organization devoted to the professional empowerment and personal growth of women in media.
Dan Mayfield is editor of Albuquerque the Magazine.
Dan McKay is city hall reporter for the Albuquerque Journal.
Susan McKinsey is director of University Communication at UNM. She has 16 years of experience in radio and television in New Mexico, California and Florida.
James Montalbano is a freelance reporter and editor; part-time instructor at UNM; and writing coach for the Daily Lobo. He is a 2011 J.D. candidate at UNM School of Law.
B.K. Page spent 35 years in newspapers in New Mexico and Washington State. Most of her years were spent at the late, great Albuquerque Tribune as (variously) features editor, editor of a perspectives section, an assistant city editor and copy editor.
Ali Patterson is a copy editor at the Albuquerque Journal and a 2006 graduate of UNM. When she's not stuck in a stuffy newsroom, she's painting over unnecessary apostrophes from signs around town.
Jeff Proctor is a reporter for the Albuquerque Journal.
Ollie Reed Jr. was on the staff of The Albuquerque Tribune for more than 31 years, working on the city, sports and arts and entertainment desks. During his years at The Tribune, Reed served as features editor, arts editor, flm/TV editor, books editor and also reviewed film, theater and other arts. Reed now is marketing director of the Western Writers of America.
Peter Rice is an alumnus of the Albuquerque Tribune and a political junkie. He has mostly retired from journalism but still works occasionally for KUNM. He will talk about his book, Drinking Buttermilk: A Eulogy for an American Pastime, to anyone who will listen.
Richard Schaefer is a professor of journalism at UNM.
Jakob Schiller, a Ph.D. candidate at UNM, is a reporter and photographer.
M.E. Sprengelmeyer is publisher of the Guadalupe County Communicator in Santa Rosa, NM.
Tony Stewart worked at The Albuquerque Tribune as a page designer/copy editor from 1992-1996, and again from 1999-2004. In between, he held similar positions with The Press Democrat in Santa Rosa, CA, (1996-1997), and the Austin American-Statesman (1997-1999). He started out at the Daily Lobo.
Steve Terrell is a political reporter and columnist for the Santa Fe New Mexican. He also spins music at public radio KSFR-FM and via podcast at the GaragePunk Podcast Network, and he blogs about music, too.
Tom Travin is a features writer and copy editor at the Albuquerque Journal.
Kent Walz is editor of the Albuquerque Journal.
Sarah Welsh is the executive director of the New Mexico Foundation for Open Government (NM-FOG), an independent non-profit organization which helps New Mexicans understand and exercise their freedom-of-information rights. Before joining NM-FOG, Welsh was the assistant editor of the Rio Grande Sun newspaper in Espanola.
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
In a day or two, we will post the tentative lineup of sessions, but expect the following:
- Page design
- Column writing
- Smart editing
- Feature writing/Interviewing
- Source development
- Political reporting
- Meet the Photo Desk
- Multimedia/Backpack reporting
- Investigations/Documents w/Sarah Welsh of FOG
And our lunchtime feature on Saturday will be a roundtable discussion of the State of Journalism in New Mexico, with the return of last year's keynote speaker M.E. Sprengelmeyer; Gwyneth Doland of the recently departed New Mexico Independent; and another guest to be named.
Clear your calendars for a daylong gathering of journalists at UNM.
Friday, December 10, 2010
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Here's the lineup of events for the sessions on Saturday 23 January:
Sessions are in either Marron Hall (MH) or C&J Building Room 119 (CJ)
• Reception (MH)
9:00 - 10:15
• COLUMN WRITING/EDITING (MH) - Gene Grant, Joline Gutierrez Krueger, Dan Mayfield, Jim Belshaw, Jack Ehn
• SOURCING STORIES/BASICS (CJ)- Phillip Blanchard, Karen Wentworth
10:30 - 11:45
• BEAT REPORTING (CJ) - Rivkela Brodsky, Jeff Proctor, Dan McKay, Megan Kamerick, Joline Gutierrez Krueger
Noon - 1:00
• FEATURED SPEAKER (and lunch) (CJ) - M.E. Sprengelmeyer, Guadalupe County Communicator. Topic: "The Future of Print Is Print."
(Check out this NY Times profile of him here).
1:15 - 2:30
• NEWSROOM MANAGEMENT (MH) - Zachary Shank, Marisa Demarco, Dan McKay, Mark Holm
• FEATURES/REVIEWS (CJ) - Ollie Reed Jr., Carrie Seidman, Gwyneth Doland, Dan Mayfield
2:45 - 4:00
• BACKPACK JOURNALISM & ONLINE REPORTING (CJ) - Gwyneth Doland, Richard Schaefer, Jakob Schiller
4:00 - 5:00
• FOIA/PUBLIC RECORDS (CJ) - Sarah Welsh of NM FOG, Susan McKinsey
6:00 - 8:00
• VIDEO (CJ) - "All the President's Men"
SUNDAY AFTERNOON WORKSHOPS 1/24
contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for Sunday workshops
• Sports Reporting
• Photography & Cutlines
• Copy Editing